Friday, October 16, 2009

Week 4 (almost) - Jeff

Greetings,
Our sympathies to our family and friends in MN who have already experienced the "white" stuff. It has been beautiful in Tucson the last few days, with lows in the upper 50s and highs in the mid 80s (though it is supposed to hit the mid 90s this weekend).

Well I finally made it to the golf course. Tucson has five municipal courses and I plan on playing them all over the next few weeks. Tuesday I played Randolph which is part of a huge sports complex that has another 18 hole course as well (Dell Urich which I play next Wed.). When I checked in at the clubhouse I spoke with Andrew (a Maryland transplant) and he gave me the low down on the various packages and courses. I won't bore you with the details, but suffice it to say Tucson makes it easy to play lots of golf, and gives residents a price break as well.

I liked Randolph right away. It is a par 72, 6,436 yd track from the whites, and it is easy to walk, which I did. I still love to walk the course and carry my bag, and I hope to do that for many years to come. A pleasant unexpected bonus was the tree lined fairways, which provided a lot of shade as you moved about the course. It was challenging enough for me, and it used to be on the PGA rotation for the Tucson Open 25-30 years ago. I shot 86, with one birdie (4 ft tap in on a par 3) which I think is OK after a month layoff.

We continue to peck away at the settling. As the temps are cooling down, I want to start doing some outside work. I think we can get the front yard looking OK yet this year, but the back yard is a total disaster. I went to a cacti nursery yesterday to check out what our options are. Holy prickly pear! There is an incredible assortment of cacti that we can consider, many I never knew existed. I look forward to sprucing up the outside over the next months (years?).

No comments:

Post a Comment