Tuesday, September 22, 2009

We're here....in Tucson..................(martha)

Yes, I know you are eager to hear from Jeff, but he is busy taking care of all those pesky little (and big) chores settling our house. Me? I just want to play and chat with you awhile. Our Internet connection is not yet set up at home, so I am using the free Internet access at the library. You will hear from him later (after it has been set up).

Meanwhile, I will share a few random comments or impressions about our first days in Tucson. By the time we arrived on Sunday evening, we had driven 4,900 miles cross-country since leaving Virginia almost four weeks ago. Next, moving into a new house is stressful.

  • Where are the light switches? Which one (of these three switches) turns the light on?
  • Why doesn't the fan work? (oh, it is on a separate switch!)
  • "Jeff, please come here" (to the shower). "Does this water feel hot to you?" I asked.
    Jeff replied, "It was hot when I showered. Maybe you need to run it longer?"
  • After 7 minutes, it was even cooler. So I showered very quickly and we bought another hot water heater this afternoon.
  • The desk in "my room" was too big. (The rooms in this house are much smaller). Today, we purchased a new (smaller) desk for me. Those purchases were unexpected.
  • Can you see me shopping? Neither can I....but the desk was for me, so I had to go along. After five stops, we finally found one. I was so worn out by that ordeal, I took a nap!
  • It has been easier to purchase items (that we already own,) then spend more time opening boxes. Yes, the boxes are labeled but the stack of them is daunting.
  • Weather. It is hot. In the past three days, the temp has reached the high 90's (99, 97 and 98 today). However, when the sun sets, it cools off at least 20 degrees.
  • It is pitch black by 6:45 pm. Arizona does not participate in Daylight Savings time. Oro Valley (where we live,) is north of Tucson (maybe 10 miles?) and there are no streetlights in our development. I don't even dare walk outside at night unless I am hanging onto Jeff's arm.....my balance for walking is even shaky in the light!

Whoops, my time (on the computer is nearly over, ) so I will sign off for now.

1 comment:

  1. Morning, Martha and Jeff,
    Martha, you did VERY in your allotted time...thanks for the chuckles! I feel like I am with you unpacking boxes. Blessings, Mary Leigh

    ReplyDelete