Saturday, September 26, 2009

Tucson - Week 1 (Jeff)

Greetings from Tucson!

Sorry for the delay in posting, but I'm sure you can imagine that we have been a bit busy getting things squared away. It is hard to believe we have only been in the house for seven days, but I can report that every day the house is looking more and more settled.

The two "critical" things that we got done this week are: 1) getting Direct TV hooked up, and 2) getting our Internet setup. I wanted Direct TV so I could watch the Vikings and other MN sports events, so I am thrilled to be able to do that. But, here's the kicker: AZ does NOT observe daylight savings time, so until the "fall back" we are actually on Pacific time. So, the 12 PM Vikings game in MN is broadcast here at 10 AM. Martha found a couple of churches with Sat. evening services, and we will be attending one of them tonight!

I decided to go with the Qwest\Direct TV bundle, so we have high speed DSL with Qwest. I set that up yesterday, and connected the wireless router this morning. So we are online and it is working just fine with very good speeds and performance. This makes Martha very happy because now she no longer has to go to the library to use their 60 minute limit PCs (though those of you who know Martha realize she will definitely continue spending time at the library).

So we keep plodding along. We are waiting on a new water heater which will be installed next Wed. It would have happened this past Wed., but, when the plumber came we discovered the unit we wanted was too large for the space in our garage. We are replacing the water heater because it is 16 years old and a bit temperamental. We have hot water some times, and then sometimes not. It might just be the thermostat, but it is a good idea to replace the old one before it decides to fail/leak at an unexpected time.

I have not golfed yet, but I hope to next week. I will check out the municipal courses (Tucson has five or so), hopefully one a week. I wanted to get a few things setup, esp. Internet, before I start making Martha a golf widow.

No comments:

Post a Comment