Monday, September 7, 2009

Labor Day Monday......(martha)

This weekend has been a reflective one for me.

Seventeen years ago (1992,) was my final weekend living in Minnesota. Of course, at the time, I did not know it. That Labor Day, I boarded an airplane bound for Frankfurt and then onto Moscow, my final destination. (Jeff joined me three months later.) In my mind, I thought I was leaving for two years followed by a return to Minnesota. Alas, that move changed the direction of our lives; we never returned to MN except for visits.

To celebrate my departure, Jeff and I attended the Minnesota State Fair with John and Jo Ann (my sister,) Bablitch. The highlight was a concert in the grandstand with Steven Curtis Chapman. This coincided with Chapman's album The Great Adventure. Fittingly enough, this became our theme song for the ensuing years. Now, years later, we are poised on the edge of another "Great Adventure".....albeit a domestic one. Attending the State Fair last Friday with Al and Jeanine (Jeff's sister,) and seeing John and Jo Ann on Sat. made us remember that special time.

Since Friday morning, something else has been intruding on my thoughts. I was notified that Dick Mason, my General Manager of the Radisson Slavjanskaya Hotel when I was in Moscow, died suddenly last Wednesday (heart attack.) Life is short.

What is your purpose in life? Where is your final destination? Will you be joining me in heaven?

No comments:

Post a Comment