Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Well, I knew it was coming, but..... (Jeff)

As most of you know I enjoy a nice game of golf, and I certainly enjoy seeing all the different flora and fauna on each course. I mostly play Crooked Tree GC these days because it is pretty close to me and I can usually walk on as a single and join another group.

I have seen a few critters, including a coyote or two strolling down the fairway. But, yesterday, THIS is what I saw as I was leaving the 17th tee box.




I was startled at first, but he was 20 feet away and no real danger to me. I stayed back to keep an eye on him and tell the group behind us what was happening (also the guy I was playing with went up to tell the group coming down the adjacent fairway "heads up").

Both photos are from the Internet, and the western diamondback rattlesnake did not coil to strike or shake his rattle (nice picture - for effect), but he did look exactly like the other photo, approximately 4-4 1/2 feet long, as he crossed our fairway heading through the 15th fairway, to some desert brush about 50-60 yards away.

Now, I definitely know this is the time of year that they start to move about, and I will be even more careful as I play. I won't be searching too hard for lost balls either (not that I ever miss a fairway).

1 comment:

  1. Jeff, you need a cell phone with a camera. They are all the rage now-a-days!

    ReplyDelete