Sunday, December 13, 2009

Happy St. Lucia Day.....................(martha)



Though it's not part of Advent, for Swedes, December 13th is the start of the Christmas season. This day honors a young Christian girl who was martyred. She is always portrayed with her head encircled by a halo of candle lights.

As a child, my three sisters and I took turns being St. Lucia each year. If it was my turn, I was thrilled to wake up early in the morning. I’d wrap myself in a white bathrobe with a red sash. Next, I’d don a “crown” and walk to each bedroom to wake my family members for a festive candlelight breakfast. Every year, my Mom baked Julekage, a sweet cardamom flavored Christmas bread as a treat for this day.

As an adult living in Minnesota, the tradition continued a bit differently. My Mom enabled my siblings and me to continue to celebrate December 13th. First she baked Julekage in the shape of St. Lucia’s crown. Next, she delivered them to us by the 12th so we could celebrate St. Lucia Day on the 13h.

That brings me to my next point. Since we are in the midst of a kitchen renovation, we are not sending Christmas cards this year. Instead our warmest wishes are extended here....'No fair" you may mutter (under your breath). You do want us to remain sane, right?!

Therefore, I am remembering a simple celebration from childhood. The times I was excited to be chosen St. Lucia. In keeping with that theme, I have chosen to "be" St. Lucia this year and wish you all a Merry Christmas.

May the joy of Christ’s birth fill your hearts today and in the coming New Year.

5 comments:

  1. oh Good morning, dear Martha aka St. Lucia,
    reading your post this morning (14th) has brought a big smile to my face and heart as I envision you past and present at St. Lucia!!!!
    and "May the joy of Christ's birth fill YOUR hearts today and in the coming year".
    Hugs, Mary Leigh

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merry Christmas to you and Jeff! I had high hopes of sending cards this year, but as the days pass the likelihood that I will actually accomplish this task gets less and less :). Blessings on all of your home renovations and decorations, and life building in Tucson!

    Miss you both,
    Julie & Mike

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the card!
    I hope your settled in and enjoying the new chapter of your life! Warmest wishes,
    Janet Benway

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you had a wonderful Christmas. It was so good to spend an evening with Jim & Anita and to see Jim getting around. Thanks for all your help with his physical therapy trips. I have sent your Christmas letter with them as I didn't have your address. Please send it to me when you have a moment. Sounds like you have quite the project going, but it will be so nice when it is finished. Much love, Lona

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey,
    I had no idea you were moving. Send me your correct address because I didn't save your envelope. And, yeah, I don't see how a kitchen has anything to do with Christmas cards. There are other rooms to write Christmas cards in. I hope you got our card because I sent it to Virginia. My email is rwpren@gmail.com. The people we bought our house from moved to Tucson. And he plays golf. Howard and Nancy Guiles 36335 S.Boulder Crest 85739. You'd like them. I hate to post this, but I don't see any link to email so here goes. Hope this works and you actually read this. Happy New Year in your new home. Maybe we will come see you, although it does seem like you could have come through Alabama from Virginia to get to Tucson. Maybe? Jenny is in Colorado. If you ever go to Steamboat, look her up. Ruth

    ReplyDelete