Saturday, November 14, 2009

Week 8 (almost).......................(martha)

Well, it has been a whirlwind week.

My well intentioned plans to write at mid-week did not materialize. Instead, I was busily preparing for my sister, Mary's, arrival on Wednesday with John, her husband. Besides cleaning the dust bunnies, scrubbing shower stalls and settling the guest room I have been cooking (yes, don't faint!)

Backing up, last Tuesday, Jeff and I attended the volunteer orientation to "work" for Interfaith Community Services (ICS). The scope of services offered and the wealth of opportunities to help were impressive. Currently, their # 1 need is for drivers delivering MM (Mobile Meals). They differ from Meals on Wheels in that their program accommodates dietary restrictions.

At orientation, the presenter asked for volunteers for the next day's annual golf tournament benefiting ICS; I offered to help. My assignment was an easy one. Four of us sat at the 7th green (a par 3,) to vouch for anyone who got a hole-in-one. The prize was a Steinway grand piano. Alas, nobody managed that feat and we had a pleasant afternoon outdoors. Fortunately I arrived home 30 minutes before John and Mary came.

They drove 8 hours from Pasadena, CA with their bikes mounted on their SUV. They have taken advantage of our bike-friendly city each day. Thursday, Jeff and John golfed. Mary and I walked in our neighborhood, ate lunch at a local park and took my cousin to PT in the afernoon.

It's time for me to close. All four of us are heading to my cousin's for dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment